Pelikan Souveran m805 Stresemann

Good afternoon - from Toronto it's a cloudy day, but almost the perfect day for a look at the Pelikan m805 Stresemann. This particular model I bought used, with an extra-fine nib that was tuned with the previous owner by Mr. Mike Masuyama.


I've owned the smaller m200 model and a vintage 400, but always have been antsing to try out the larger m805. I love the Montblanc 146 so much that the sister size in Pelikan has always been on my list. This was a model that I could not say no to. It's a gorgeous colour, and a Masuyama tuned nib was the clincher.


Here we have a look at the pearlescent binde. The stripes are reminiscent of trouser pants as is how the pen was named after Herr Stresemann. The muted colour with the rhodium trim is really perfect. Aesthetically, it matches and is elegant.


Trims are rhodium, and the thicker cap band is engraved: Pelikan Souveran Germany. The material is solid, and I read that it is acrylic black, but the binde might be celluloid acetate. I don't really know if that's true or not - but regardless, the material is warm in hand! So who knows, but it feels great - smooth and warm.


The nib is also single tone, unlike most Souveran m80x models, which is perfect with this completely colourless model. Aesthetically, it is unified, and a beautiful design. Despite not having a photo of both pens side by side (sorry), it feels nicer in the hand than the Montblanc 146. It is heavier due to the brass piston mechanism. The nib is slightly larger, but not unwieldy. As well, the material seems thicker and more quality than the 146. Don't get me wrong, I really love my Montblanc, but this Pelikan has it all.


The finial is also purely rhodium trim with the Pelikan mommy and her one chick, as it has been since 2003. I personally love the 2 chick logo, but that's just preference.


My favourite part of Pelikans is always the stylized Pelikan bill clip. Ah, this one is no different. It is stiff and strong, and the bill end lifts off so it is so easy to clip to all materials, including my leather pen case if needed.


Size Comparison: top is the m805 Stresemann, 1950 Pelikan 400, 2015 m200 Café Creme.

Writing sample is below! Mike Masuyama is my favourite nib guy, and this nib is really no different.  I noticed he took the huge glob of tipping and made it much more streamlined - and it looks closer to the vintage Pelikan 400 and is smooth and silky. Pretty good line variation even with usual writing, but since I'm using this pen every day at work, not going to press too hard. It's not a flex nib :)

Overall: I love this pen. So happy I got a MM tuned nib, and hope you've enjoyed my review!


Comments

Popular Posts