Kaweco Brass Sport - EF nib



Today we have the classic looking Kaweco Brass Sport with a copper clip - next to what I have to say is the most classy looking tin box. What a beautiful set!

My friend Laike from ilaikepens.com posted a photo of this pen about a year ago when I first was getting serious about fountain pens, and I finally got one to see what it was like! This is the pen that opened the flood gate of me researching and buying pens!!



In the sunlight, the pen looks fantastic, just a bit of shine, and the contrast on this pen is beautiful. I found a new spot as of the last post to take photos of my pen here on my window sill, and the Kaweco Sport counters the harsh light by its slightly matte machining to absorb some light and still glow beautifully.

 The style of the pen is classic, a hexagonal cap with a small cylindrical body that when capped is very small for your pocket, and when posted is a full size pen. Albeit this time, I am less impressed as it is very top heavy, so I just write with it unposted which may not be viable for people with big hands. However, I wonder if you had bigger hands, maybe the posting would be less top heavy!


Despite only having the pen for a few weeks, it has developed a bit of patina as you can see around the cap. It's quite nice to look at and I wonder what a few more weeks or months might do for that patina.



The finial is very sleek - a quiet silver Kaweco in what I like to call the Mercedes symbol.


The pen usually comes without the clip, but the folks at Wonderpens said, "This clip is perfect!" and I couldn't agree more. It makes the silver nib seem to match even more - in a silver - gold - copper kind of metal mix.

I have 2 concerns about this clip: 1) it sometimes slips off of the brass. 2) it obscures the cool script logo on the body of the cap.


The Brass Sport's filling system is ideal for those on the go - especially for a pocket pen like this. Cartridge! There is a Kaweco converter which I do not have. In this kind of pen, it makes sense to have cartridges you can just pack with you instead of having bottles of ink.


 The nib is... meh. This is my second Kaweco Sport, and neither of them have really been great in my book. I think it's because it's a number 4 nib and so it always seems small to me - and maybe just not my style. I am enjoying my #6 nibs a lot.

I didn't make a writing sample for this review - but the nib out of the box was too dry and so needed a bit of tuning to make it write wet and smooth. I've also tried the 2.3 Italic, the BB, a B, and this EF. The BB and B are more stubby, but had some serious baby bottom.



Last impressions: This pen looks fantastic, but unlike my love of even the giant Montblanc 146, or the Sailor Professional Gear, it doesn't really float my boat. The development of patina on the raw brass is amazing, and that is the reason I bought this pen. But even though it sat in my pocket for the last few weeks, I never once grabbed at it to use  - I preferred to search my large bag for my other pens. The nib is functional overall, but not the best. Would I buy this one again? Don't think so...

The hipster in me says - you have to love this retro design. And I do, but for me, function above form always.

I hope you've enjoyed this review, and stay tuned for a special review of a special product coming up next!!

Comments

Popular Posts