Pelikan m200 Cafe Creme Special Edition


Can you taste it? The Café Crème out in the wild!
The story of this pen is a long one for me. I bought one as my second fountain pen - my first one was a TWSBI Vac Mini which has now exited my collection to buy my first version of this beauty. Then what did I do? I flipped it for cash to buy a Pelikan 400NN from the wonderful Rick Propas! That's the beginning of another sad story when I lost it on call in the hospital.

Through a few more pens - I kept mourning the loss of this baby. So here she is again!



Can you taste the coffee? As a coffee addict, this pen has called me in so many ways. I think the brand Pelikan really speaks for itself. It is equated by longevity and quality (except for recent baby bottoms I suppose). This one is really no different. The Cap and the piston knob are both a delicious coffee colour.  It is accented by beautiful gold bands, and since it's a m200, only one on the knob, and one around the bottom of the cap. That band says "Pelikan Germany". Personally I love the single gold bands better than the double. A little understated, not trying to do too much.

The middle section is made of an ivory, really a cream colour.




As in the photo above, there is also a brown ink window, that is very clear to see how much in you have left. It came with a steel nib which was smooth as butter, but I fitted it with this m400 older double chick 14k nib because I like the way gold nibs feel on the paper. Plus, it classes up this baby.




I'll review its brother the Vintage 400 on a later date, but here it is.


I hope I've made you enticed of the Pelikan 400 review which is to come :)



The finial is the standard black - which in my mind clashes. Black finial with a brown cap with brown piston filler knob - but at the same time, the m200 is their "economy model", it would be hard to have a different colour for every pen. That being said, I would have preferred a brown finial or at least the metal finial that they have on the m400 line, since this is a special edition after all.



I just absolutely love everything about the Pelikan clips. A beautiful beak with 2 eyes, and it is the most stylish thing ever.

And finally a writing sample - the vintage 2 chick nib that I bought after market had baby bottom and was horribly dry and I had to smooth it out a bit. But now it's among my favourite. To note, I had ZERO problems with the steel medium nib I had - it was wet, and lovely. But I did sell that one with a Cognac m200 I had...


Would I buy this pen again? Well, this is the second time I've bought it. So yes!!! Every time I think of selling it to fund another pen (right now I have my eyes on a Parker Sonnet Cisele or a m805 demonstrator... or well, the list really does go on).

Hope you've enjoyed it enough to go get a Cortado or a Latte!


Comments

Popular Posts